On cooking

6/8/09

I'm a terrible cook, and I cook rarely. I think it's 'cause I'm a fussy cook - but really, I prefer my cooking to be fussy. Shortcuts are my enemy. Perhaps it would be easier with a frozen bag of pre-sliced carrots, a box of Hamburger Helper, a packet of freeze-dried ramen. Here the helping hand which invisibly peels and cooks the tomatoes in the can, that breads the chicken and stuffs the turkey and dices the sweet potatoes for a good home-style Thanksgiving dinner. But there's no challenge, no satisfaction. How artless is the meal which consists of a jar of pre-cooked tomato sauce over boiled spaghetti? How pointless is it, to buy two jars of peanut butter and jelly when one can buy the two, swirled together in one jar, for your convenience? How pointless it is, to cook for yourself when someone else can do it for you.

Changes of attitude may be posted some time in the future.