
I'm not a regular Modcloth browser, but lately I've been perusing the shopping website since I signed up for Polyvore - an online fashion community where you can create outfit "sets" viewable to other members. I thought that with all the mindless backlinking, my mind's gone numb to style blogs and the like, but apparently Polyvore is my gateway fashion drug.
The dress above is currently on sale at Modcloth and it's called the "White Chocolate Truffle Dress." You can buy it for the low, low price of $134.99!
Generally, I try to avoid New York Times Best Sellers and "now a major motion picture" hype. Certainly quite a few of my favorite books have been made into movies. There's a reason why these books have been chosen; they engage the reader. But whenever I see the pathetic adapted movie book cover (Ella Enchanted an example), the pretentious snob rears in me and I break into a cold sweat thinking about The Time Traveler's Wife and The Road (not even the allure of cannibalism could make up for terrible writing).
But this weekend, I gave in and read Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I couldn't put it down.
Without giving away too much about the plot:
- I think the book can be considered a "coming of age" story. The book
takes the first-person point of view of 31-year-old Kathy H. in England, who recounts memories from her past for the reader (not a listener, so it isn't a frame story). Although the narration is contemplative, it never gets too heavy and the plot moves along. - Although the book moves roughly linearly, Kathy's memories are recalled organically (and very elegantly, I'd say).
- It is science fiction, but that aspect is extremely downplayed. Unlike genre prototypes, the author is very much interested in character development. And even when summoned from Kathy's memories, the characters and their relationships are not idealized, which is to Ishiguro's credit: you really can imagine these people in real life.
- The situation in the book reminds me very much of The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. You'd have to read to see why.
On a side note, I actually own a book by Ishiguro (Never Let Me Go's a borrowed copy) called An Artist of the Floating World; have had it for a few years. But I'd say that it's far less memorable.
-Kim