Web surfing finds

10/30/10

I don't think I could begin this post with an unburdened conscience without mentioning the World Series final, specifically, the SF Giants win.

Fuck me if I know anything about baseball, but it's San Francisco and it's the Giants, and I'm Bay Area all over. Moving on....

I signed up for a Stumbleupon account. Found my new desktop (above), but I've only been on it once. I really love the name of the website service, however, so I'm dedicating this post to the pages I've stumbled upon in the past week:

1. Thanatourism: A theme park devoted to the Khmer Rouge is in development by the Cambodian government. They're capitalizing on past atrocities to fuel tourism in the country. (via this link: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/dark-tourism/8250/)

2. Search: Blekko.com's another search engine all hyped up as David to slay Goliath Google (at least by the papers) and fueled by fairly freshly deposited VC dollars. I'm a fan of the clean design, but to be honest I am not all that discerning when it comes to internet search. I've heard all the (fair enough) haterade against Google as well as the Yahoo troubles (I have four email accounts through Yahoo, by the way). And yes, many Google searches are rather sketchy/spammy. I'm willing to try something new, though, and I think I'm getting the hang of the twitter-esque slash tags...

via smh.com.au, Stella McCartney for Target AU3. Blog: http://www.leblogdesushi.com/, if only for the fact that they alerted me to the lovely Stella McCartney for Target collection. The lace dresses are an absolute feast for the eyes - just for the eyes, regrettably, because the collection is not available in the States - and I'm dying for the blue one. (Also loving the Zara cape spotlight in the previous post!)

4. Please Fire Me: Pleasefireme.com, a site that highlights anonymously-submitted piteous cries for help from the haplessly employed. Be it ultimately "Schadenfreude" or "misery loves company" in nature, it sure passes the time. Check out this gem of Grammar Nazism, which I can only pretentiously agree with:

Please fire me. The illiterate are in charge. The ability to craft a basic sentence is noticeably absent from the requirements for management.

I weep for the spell check button, the loneliest button of them all.

Now it's time for sleep, so I can attempt to drag my ass out of bed at 5 in the A.M. for exercise (but more likely press the snooze button repeatedly, or perhaps reprogram the alarm to wake me an hour later).

-Kim